Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Tofu Shirataki Fettuccine

Long time not (too much) cooking. After so many weeks of travel and even more delicious foodie invitations I could not resist, I am finally trying to get back on the cooking track. Till now, I did bake some bread - one with oregano and another with onion, but nothing noteworthy to share till now. Yesterday, we went to do some basic shopping at the Asian shop in Charlottenburg, when I was advised by the careful S. to do not dare to leave the shop without buying the pack of Tofu Shirataki. As it definitely suited the budget - it costs around 3 Euro and the kosher standards - it does have a delicate OU sign on its left, as many other tofu sorts I noticed a couple of weeks back - I put it in the basket.
Today, I tried to get used with it and even prepare it with some available ad-hoc ingredients we have in the kitchen.
The fettuccine were preserved in alkaline liquid that smells really unusual - you can add 'bad' as a proper description as well. After 4-5 minutes of rinsing under cold water, the smell disappears. For the rest of the preparation, I behave as I do in the presence of noodles:
Added in a pan
garlic (3 cloves) and scallions on taste (3 pcs.) - finely chopped
3 teaspoon of oil - olive oil is a good choice
5 pieces of okra - finely chopped
1/2 teaspoon of cumin powder
Mixed in the pan together with the fettuccine and after 7 minutes, were ready.
It serves 2 and we played a bit the Asian experts eating it with the chopsticks.
The taste of fettuccine is neutral so some sprinkles of salt will balance the taste pretty well.
Another detail of the fettuccine is the low calories content, with an estimated 20 calories per serving. 

Bon Appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment