Sunday, February 4, 2018

White Cheese-Filled Pita Bread

Pita bread, simple or filled with cheese, sometimes even with plum jam, used to be an usual food in my childhood and since I started to do my own baking I tried more than once to prepare it, with results that were considerably better than my home-made foods as a child. As in January I haven't cooked or baked anything interesting - but stay tuned as a fantastic foodie news will come tomorrow - this afternoon I decided to use some ingredients available in the kitchen and get back to some serious baking. To be honest, it was also the pressure of not having any bread left so it was an emergency situation we were dealing with. 
But it was actually a great occasion to offer to my kiddo my childhood staple for the first time, while also enjoying some bites, although in a heavy oily ambiance. The good thing is that I survived the experience which also involved high-temperature frying without any serious burning incident, which was a great achievement. During my last Hanukkah preparations a big splash of hot oil landed on my left wrist and for more than a month my hand looked like just escaping a suicidal attempt. 
Ingredients 
- for the dough
4 cups white flour
1 package dry yeast - the equivalent of 7 gr.
2 beaten eggs
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- for the frying and filling
250 white cow cheese grated
250 ml. sunflower oil

Directions
Dissolve the yeast into 200 ml. warm water until it looks bubbling. Add the 3 cups of flour and the beaten eggs. Mix by hand or with a spatula. Let the dough to rest outside under a warm cover for around 1 hour. You can also keep it overnight in the fridge.


After one hour, take the dough out and split into 9 small pieces. Roll it by hand. Spread the white cheese in the middle and cover it with the dough. 
Meanwhile, heat the pan at 250C for 1-3 minutes. Add the oil and heat it for another 3 minutes. Add the pita shaped dough to the pan and eventually press it on in the middle with a stainless steel spatula. It helps to eliminate the air from the dough and create a compact pita ready to be fried. 
Serves: 9 cheese-filled pita.
Preparation time: 1 hour
Although you can eat it simply like that, moderately warm, eventually accompanied by an equally warm mint tea or a glass of cold Ginger Ale. If you are really hungry and want to combine as many ingredients as possible, you can also add: some fresh salmon, yellow cheese, a spread of cottage cheese, a boiled egg, hummus.
As a fresh healthy company, you can make a cucumber, tomatoes and avocado salad. Some tasty black olives are also a good idea. 
All being said, it seems like this week will have many foodie adventures in the making. For now, I can only be happy for bringing back childhood memories on my plate.

Bon Appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment