Monday, September 23, 2013

Spicy carrots

Carrots are not my favorite vegetables and the repeated warnings of my mother - z''l-  that if I don't eat too many of them I will wear glasses - that turned into reality at a certain moment - did not change my mind. I cannot stand the taste of them, especially when consumed raw. Instead, I prefer the neutral taste of the boiled ones in soups or sautés, or some unusual sour-sweet combinations of some Moroccan salads.
With some vegetarian guests invited for Rosh Hashana I did not have too many choices but to try to do something new that may include the detested carrots. Out of my mind, I set up the following recipe, that looks very good in picture and is moderately tasty when fresh from the frying pan.
I peeled and sliced the carrots.
In the pan, I added 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil with 1 tea spoon of za'atar spice - a post dedicated to spices soon, and let them fry for 7 minutes. I added the carrots and turned them from one side to the other every 5 minutes. At a temperature of 150C, the carrots were ready in around 20 minutes, a little bit fried and with enough spices to eliminate any trace of original taste. I would like to add the next time some garlic too. If you are a real gourmet, be so creative and add a drop of honey. 

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment