Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Eating edamame

The name 'edamame' didn't tell me too much at first, although I spent one full year in Japan. It is the reason why I was very keen to taste it when offered the opportunity to meet again the Japanese cuisine. Used in the Japanese cuisine, since the 13th century, it is usually used as a side dish and in combination of various salads, including together with quinoa or can be the European equivalent of salted peanuts accompanying the beer. 
It is eaten cooked, after being boiled in a salty water. Compared with the dry and mature soy beans used for the preparation of tofu, edamame has young soy beans, almost melting in the palate. It has full taste, that can be compared with pistachio. 
The first problem for the clumsy European is how to eat it: do we need to eat it with the pod - no, of course not - or only the beans - yes, of course? Opening the pod is a piece of cake, especially when edamame is freshly cooked: one needs only to squeeze a bit and the beautiful tasty beans are there. The taste is delicious and addictive and after I savoured two full bowls, I need to start checking where I can find to buy some as soon as possible. 
It can be served hot or cold, but I would rather prefer them hot. 
Besides the taste, edamame is also rich in proteins, Vitamin K, carbohydrates and manganese. 

No comments:

Post a Comment