Sunday, January 12, 2014

Getting used with parsnips

I never had parsnips before, but the last week I decided to buy a couple of them and wait a little bit for some inspiration. When you never tasted something before and as I always prefer to rely on my own experiences, I did not know what to expect. I was rather thinking about something similar to potatoes, due to the frequency of recipes recommending parsnips chips as a favourite meal.
After some documentation and a couple of seconds of thinking, I decided to bake them.
I proceeded as follows:
Washed and cut the two ends of the parnsnips, and also grated a bit as the skin didn't look very cookable.
I spread on a pan an aluminium baking sheet.
Set the temperature of the oven at 250C and waited it to get warm for at least 5 minutes before starting the baking. 
Sliced the parsnips into little pieces.
Spread around 2 tablespoon of olive oil in the pan and washed a bit the parsnips on both sides.
Added also an impressive amount of za'atar. Instead one can also use oregano, Cayenne pepper, or only salt. 
I leaved it in the oven and checked for every 10 minutes turning the parsnips on all sides in order to be sure that all parts are baked properly.
After around 20 minutes, the parsnips were done, but couldn't resist to spread some grated cheese.
I would say that my first encounter with parsnips was encouraging: it tastes as a mild type of sweet potatoes, it gives the feeling of satiety (even though was thinking to match it with some tilapia fish left overs from Shabbes). 
The second batch is already done and would try to improve my experience in the coming months, for sure.

Bon Appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment