Sunday, June 3, 2018

Spicy Coconut Soup with Nutty Tofu

I have such a bad and toxic relationship with soups...I either don't like them so much or very successful in preparing them. However, for the healthy sake of the baby I am doing one once in a while - with the promise to do it more and better the next time. Also, given my big dental problems in the last weeks - that kept me mostly hungry and badly fed - I had to reconsider my options and challenge my cooking skills, by introducing new soups into the menu. Especially after trying the available ready-made options - vegan - on the market, that unfortunatelly I've found completely unattractive flavor-wise.
For a long time I wanted to try some coconut soups and even kept for weeks a can of coconut milk but wasn't brave enough to open it and start adding ingredients. This Friday though, I was hungry enough to make that spectacular change. As usual in such cases, it worked out very well and I promise myself to try again at least every week. 
In this case of a very eclectic combination, my aim was to balance the oily coconut milk taste and the strong peanut tofu with some spicy accents, which may balance and diversify the flavor in a smoothly, not outrageously spicy way. Both Harissa and the chili interacted pretty well with the scallions creating during boiling a new and exquisite spicy taste. As I was always very careful with Harissa, this time I realized how much I can actually use this spice in complementary combinations and I can't wait to experience more with it. 

Ingredients


400 ml. canned coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
100 gr. peanut tofu, cut into small cubes
2 medium-size scallions, cut into small rounds
1/4 teaspoon Harissa spice from Spice Kitchen UK
12 small champignons, halved
3 small bites of red chilli
7 leaves of coriander

Directions

Add the ingredients, one by one, and mix well every time. Heat at 100C and mix well once in a while. After it's starting to boil, wait for at least 5 minutes.
Serve it hot!

Serves: 2

Bon Appétit!

Disclaimer: Harissa spices were offered by the Spice Kitchen UK as their brand ambassador, but the opinions are, as usual, my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment