Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Teriyaki recipes to fall in love with

One of my duties as a human and blogger is to learn every day something new: discover a new city, read a new book, put on trial some new cooking skills...I start the day with a smile thinking about how many fantastic lessons are waiting for me. Inspired by my more exprienced foodie friends, I tried last week to experiment with teriyaki sauce, an ingredient which I usually loved at my favorite Asian restaurants but never used it in my own chicken.
The following recipes are the results of some interesting experiments, plus some lessons learned from some failures - which are a source of inspiration too. For my experiments I've used Amoy sauce, which I was repeatedly told it is a good healthy choice.
Salmon with pasta and carrots
Ingredients:
250 gr. salmon, defrosted
2 medium sized carrots
150 gr. pasta
4 tablespoon teriyaki sauce

Directions:
Boil the carrots. When ready, cut them into little pieces.
Boil the pasta, in water with a pinch of salt.
Fry gently the salmon, at 250C. When ready, cut it into small cubes.
In a pan, boil the teriyaki sauce for about 5 minutes before adding the salmon and pasta, and the carrots. Mix them well to have them covered by the teriyaki.

Serves: 2
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes

Sidenote: It was my first ever teriyaki sauce and had no idea what to expect. The result was delicious, with a full taste but, maybe a bit too sweet for my taste. If you want to balance the sweetness of teriyaki, add some ginger sauce, 1/4 teaspoon, preferably.

Udon noodles with salmon
Ingredients:
1 package udon noodles (here is a short historical note about udon noodles)
150 gr. salmon
2 tablespoon teriyaki sauce
3 gr. ginger
1 tablespoon black sesame

Directions:
Boil water and soak the udon noodles for around 7 minutes.
In a pan in the oven heated at 250C, fry the salmon. When ready, cut it into small cubes.
In a pan, heat the teriyaki sauce with the ginger for about 5 minutes. Add the salmon and mix well, and continue with the udon noodles, and keep mixing for another couple of minutes, until all the ingredients are getting the brown colour of the sauce.
Sprinkle the black sesame.

Serves: 2
Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes

Others ways I've used teriyaki

I haven't tried yet the rice with teriyaki, although I do have in my pantry closet at least 3 different packages of rice, but as usual, I am very cautious and not ready to fail with this ingredient. Otherwise, I added a teaspoon of teriyaki in my omelette, without the ginger, and it was delicious - I haven't used any other ingredient, not even za'atar.
A little failure was when I used it for some canned thuna. I just tried to roast the thuna in the pan with boiling teriyaki, but the taste wasn't good. Most probably it was a problem with the fish.

Bon Appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment