Friday, September 15, 2017

Simple and Delicious Mushroom Soup

I have a very bad relationship with soups. First, I always thought there are too difficult to prepare, that kind of meal where homely experience is required and when it is absent, failure will be written everywhere, Second, I am not a big soup eater myself, therefore, why should I force myself to cook something I will anyway end up throwing in the garbage?
However, with a small hungry little baby at home, my (bad) eating habits are also challenges. For the sake of his health and his pleasure - he is a big soup lover - I decided to prepare every week a new soup. Because, when it comes to love, only the sky is the limit of our super(mom)powers.
For my first installment, I decided for a mushroom soup. The preparation went smoothly, and except the colour which was not necessarily the one I've seen in the many cooking books and videos I watched for preparing it, it tasted good and I was happy with my personal ingredients combinations. Probably, everything would have been different if I milk have been used, but I rather bet this time on a non-dairy recipe.

Ingredients
300 gr. fresh white mushrooms, chopped
1 medium-sized onion, cut
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon za'atar
3 tablespoons cooking oil 
1/4 cup Osem Seasoning Mix
4 cups warm water
100 gr. pearl barley

Directions
Stir for 10 minutes the mushrooms, onion, black pepper, salt, oil and za'atar in a pan, heated at 250C. Add the mix into a food processor for 3 minutes at medium speed. In another pot, bring the pearl barley to boil until ready.
Pour the composition into the water, add the seasoning and stir well for another 30 minutes. Add the pearl barley and continue to stir slowly.
If you want some dairy version, add some Greek Feta Cheese on the top.
To be served hot.

Preparation time: 1 hour
Serves: 6

Bon Appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment