Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Foodie tour Antwerp

Travel and food, good food especially, are part of the same story and I love to know a country or town through its culinary culture. There are lots of books about it and one day will have maybe the time to explore the literature beyond this assumption. But till then, let's have a little look of my foodie discoveries in Antwerp, a beautiful diamond that I can't wait to visit again.

Both Netherlands and Belgium are tempting the visitors with waffles, but the experts say that the traditional art belongs to Belgium. As an adept of home-made cakes, I am not sure if my recipes are following a certain national pattern, but I could not stop but observe the generous ideas of Belgium waffle producers. Such a gorgeous combination can be bought from the street, for around 5 Euro, half the price you can pay for it in the cheap city of Berlin, for instance. But, obviously, there is more life and temptation into the Made in Antwerp one. 

Shops close early in the afternoon and open relatively late in the morning. For the fast shopping, it is possible to use the local supermarket networks, such as Mega Image or Albert Heijm, with many regional products and fruits and vegetables. I enjoyed a pleasant healthy breakfast at the Daily Roast, in the old historical quarter. It was raining and I was hungry for a good coffee. I spent one hour waiting to see the sun, sipping my delicious coffee while getting warm admiring the maps of Africa from the walls. 

Belgium is not only about rain, but also about chocolate. Pralines, made by Leonidas - one of the first brands I ever heard in my life, as it was my mother's favourite - or Elisa's, whose shop is situated in the old historical center. Many jelly combination and a lot of marzipan, as I was explained in the shop.

 Here it is, the smallest waffles shop in the world. Small and beautiful.

I am not a terrific chocolate tester, but I went to Antwerp to see more European fashion. At Paleis op de Meir, in the former kitchen used by Napoleon in his main headquarters during the occupation of the city, I was offered a reason more to love both. A beautiful dress made by chocolate. In other words, you can have your chocolate, and wear it too. 

For more travel recommendations for Antwerp, check my travel blog here.
While there, I also checked one of the best kosher restaurants in Europe, Hoffy's.

1 comment:

  1. Hi!
    My name is Amy and I'm with Dwellable.
    I was looking for posts about Antwerp to share on our travel site and I came across your blog...If you're open to it, shoot me an email at amy(at)dwellable(dot)com.
    Hope to hear from you soon!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete