Sunday, December 22, 2013

Latkes ideas, all round the year

Hanukkah ended up almost one month ago, and as for everyone in the house it was quite a complicated time of the year for various reasons, I did not have too much time to browse recipes or to think which menu to prepare. I insisted to have a basic traditional menu that needed to be prepared in less than 5 hours. Under such circumstances, the easiest solution was to try a heimishe recipe and did not be too creative, but the ingredients in the closet were inspiring me somehow to divert my thoughts from the daily problems to the creation of some original recipes.

Some were unexpected successful - the apple latkes were so good that I couldn't have enough of more and more - some were disgusting. Note to self: Never use mushrooms in fried combinations, not only the smell was very unattractive 24 hours after the preparation, but also the taste was very close to that of the liver, which is enough for me to never ever try such cooking creations ever again. Only thinking about it right now, I feel again the disgusting taste in my mouth. 

Anyway, we live to learn and my failure wasn't completely for nothing.

I listed right now the successful recipes:

Carrot and potatoes latkes
15 portions
preparation time: 1 hour
6 big potatoes - grated; don't forget to drain the water out of it
2 big carrots - grated
5 tablespoon flour
garlic finely chopped, on taste
1/4 tablespoon Cayenne pepper
2 beaten eggs

Sweet apple latkes
17-18 big portions
preparation time: 1 hour
7 South Tirol apples - grated; don't forget to drain the water out of it
3 beaten eggs
6 tablespoon flour
2 tablespoon sugar
1/4 tablespoon cinnamon
1 saffron backing powder

In both cases, keep some extra oil for the frying. 
I am not a big fan of mixing up recipes out season - I never want to hamentashen when it's not Purim etc. - but probably the next year I will do a bit of rehearsal a couple of weeks before Hanukkah to be sure that I will do the right thing. This goes especially for sufganiyot that are a long - not always successful story. 

For those who are tempted to try latkes soon

Bon Appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment