Friday, January 5, 2018

The best Antidote to Cold Winter Days: Rice Vermicelli Noodles

During my searches for finding the right rice vermicelli for preparing the special Persian dessert Faloodeh, I bought a full pack of Singapore noodles which I hardly used since then. As one of my promises for this year is to waste less food, I was thinking over and over again in the last days what to do with them. As I am rather the udon noodle kind of person, I needed more documentation to find the right way to match and cook them. However, as soon as I've read carefully the directions on the box of vermicelli, I realized how easy it can be and what a great idea would be to prepare some hot bowl for a relatively cold winter day - nothing compares with the NYC blizzard though...
Ingredients for one bowl of rice noodles
1 pack of rice Vermicelli Singapore noodles
1 big carrot, boiled and cut into rounds
1 cup canned peas
1 boiled egg - 6 minutes of boiling
1 cup of finely chopped mushrooms
1 tablespoon cooking oil. You can also use peanut oil for a stronger taste
1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce
1 pinch of black sesame seeds for the decoration

Directions

In a pan heated at 250C for 2-3 minutes, add the oil and the teriyaki sauce and mix well for a couple of minutes. Add the rest of the ingredients, one by one, and keep mixing. Three minutes before the frying is done, soak the noodles into hot water. The descriptions on the box says to only keep them in the hot water for 3 minutes and although I am usually quite creative and rarely follow fully the cooking/baking directions, this time it was different. The stone dried noodles are becoming fluid little by little under the effect of the hot water. 
Meanwhile, boil the egg
After the noodles are done, I added to the pan and mix it up for another 5 minutes. 
When ready, pour the noodles in the bowl, add the springle of black sesame seeds and the egg.
To be served hot and eating slowly slowly, with chopsticks and preferably accompanied by a pleasure slurp.


Preparation time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes

Bon Appétit!



No comments:

Post a Comment