Saturday, September 8, 2018

About Copy (and Paste) in the Fashion Industry

I am not a staunch observer of the latest fashion trends, although I wish I am. Terribly split between 1000+ projects in a quite diverse range of industries, and a more than hectic family and personal life, I cannot dedicate sometimes more than a couple of minutes per week for observing fashion trends and influences. However, when you have good sources and references, even less than one hour per month is enough to understand where the fashion goes for the season and what are the main tendances and favorite colours and patterns.
Also, my time for shopping is very limited, especially for visiting a store without a clear intention to buy anything even more. Even as a young girl, without too much responsibilities on my sleeve, I always wanted to go straight forward to a store, buy what I wanted and keep myself busy with other things for the rest of the day. Still, at least once the month, I like to have a look in a couple of stores, to check the fashion tendencies in my home city, even though in most cases I am not interested at all to buy anything.
Approximately aware of the latest high-fashion tendencies, and with an eye on what is offered on the middle range market, I couldn't but notice a very worrisome tendency: patterns and models of big fashion brands - such as Chanel, Gucci or Versace - are copied - without the logo - and adapted for the low range market. I've seen, for instance, more than a chained bag on sale on H&M that only missed the C from Chanel, or whote shoes with flowers reminding of the Gucci sport shoes. A tendency so common also to ZARA or the peculiar Primark. Such a merchandise gives you the feeling that maybe you can convince yourself and some other non-fashionable people too, that you wear a precious item which is similar with the ones in trends. Did I say that I even spotted a ring that was strickingly similar with the classical Cartier rings in a big drugstore chain?
I personally don't have nothing against shopping from affordable brands. For my sport outfit, or when I am getting dressed for going in the park or other children-related activities, or for some weeekend trips, I prefer to wear comfy, funny looking clothes and shoes. I want to be original, unique and to wear quality clothes, but I completely reject the idea of wearing fake brands or looking-like-brands. If I really want a Chanel bag, I save fiercely and I eventually have it one day. If I want to wear branded clothes and my budget is limited, I go to a TK Maxx, where I can buy discounted quality original brands. 
This worrisome tendecies of the big brands are a bit depreciative for the usual customers of those companies. What, if you are not so rich, it means that you cannot be original? You have to resign yourself to the reality that you will never be able to be more than a sad buyer of second quality look clothes? Why those companies not use their resources and imagination to create interesting and original products which will make you feel comfortable, dignified and proud of your style. I bet people wearing Chanel-like bags are proud in their own way, but what about offering a nice creative alternative to the big fashion trends. After all, people purchasing from those companies have their own lives, struggles and challenges and creating fashion products inspired by their realities makes more sense than offering them make-believe brands.
To be honest, I have no problem to buy something that looks nice and original from a no-brand, but I will stubbornly refuse to invest my money and something that looks like it is Chanel - to name my favorite brand - but it costs less than 30 EUR worth. 
Therefore, one of my next blogging projects in the next weeks and months will be to focus on original local and international creative brand, offering original, mid-priced fashion products. They are worth to be known as an alternative to an industry that seems to go through a creative block.

No comments:

Post a Comment