Wednesday, June 26, 2019

Easy Homemade Tomato Sauce Recipe

Do you know that feeling, when you are really craving for something at an hour and a day of the week when the chances to find a shop open are minimal, especially when you want something a little bit different than the generous offer of your gas station next door? The one and only solution is to put your head at work, check the available foods in the kitchen and move on to the next level, which is: preparing the missing food you were dreaming for (maybe if you have been dreamt less it was still a slight chance to find that shop open, who knows?)
A couple of days ago, I wanted badly to have some pasta with red (tomato) sauce and although my house is never short of pasta options - at least 3 different sortiments at once - and so is the cheese, the only ingredient missing was the tomato sauce. Hunger can make you creative too, therefore, I had to move fast and smart to get the sauce of my life. Which, in the end, was a much better option than the Pomodoro sauce in the can - except the vivid red colour that I could not recreate myself.


Ingredients
6 medium-sized tomatoes
5 garlic cloves, medium-sized, chopped
50 gr. salty pistachio
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/2 teaspoon za'atar (I will write in another post about my Syrian za'atar which is a wonder of a spice)

Directions
Bring to boil 1 liter of water with a 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Add the tomatoes and let them boil for around 20 minutes. Their peel will go out automatically, but anyway, after boiling be sure you remove it slowly.
Add in a blender the tomatoes, the garlic, the brown sugar, the olive oil, the pistachio and the za'atar. Blend it for 2-3 minutes at medium size.
Add it to the pasta when it is still warm. 
It tastes heavenly and I tried to control myself to not eat it before any pasta added. The pistachio mixes perfectly with the spices and the olive oil, and the sweetness of the tomatoes is amplified by the brown sugar. 
The conclusion is that from now on, I would rely as much as possible on my own red sauce and maybe will even improve and add new ingredients and spices.


Serves: 2

Cooking time: 20 minutes

Preparation time: 15 minutes

Bon Appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment