Sunday, December 16, 2012

What's in a breakfast?

A couple of days ago I was invited to an early morning business discussion that involved the choice of various sorts of 'national' and 'regional''breakfasts. I preferred to have my coffee, but after I had a look around I realized that I have not too many clear ideas about what can I expect to find in different types of breakfast. This post is aimed to bring more light into the lecture of a breakfast menu.


- English breakfast is always very consistent and usually includes: scrambled eggs, sausages, different sorts of bacon, baked beans, oatcakes (especially in Scotland), pancakes, tomatoes, potatoes (as chips or cake), mushrooms (fried), kidneys. The bread is either toasted or fried. It is accompanied by tea or coffee. The American variant has more sausages. This breakfast is also very popular in Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.

- Those who are looking for a more balanced died may order instead the French breakfast. You will be invited to taste fresh white bread with jam and butter or a freshly baked croissant (if you want to eat as French people do, do not eat the croissant with butter). It is accompanied by coffee or a glass of freshly pressed fruit juice. Sometimes, you can also have a light yogurt. 

- The traditional Italian breakfast may took by surprise those who love to have a good meal early in the morning, especially when on travel (as I do). One may expect to be served as colazione with coffee, bread and rolls, eventually fette biscottate (hard bread with jam and butter) and some biscotti.  A deep disappointment for someone that keep at high respect the Italian cuisine. Keep yourself hungry until you reach the lunch time!

- The Spanish el desayuna does not go too far from the Italian version of breakfast: café con leche - or hot chocolate for children - and sweet rolls or magdalenas. As everywhere in Europe, the cereals were introduced lately on the menus in the last decades, especially for children and thus your little ones can chose between various colourful boxes.

- I never found in the international breakfast the option of Portuguese breakfast, but you should believe my words that when you want to start your day in Lisbon, you will be delighted by the choices of fresh pastry and cakes. The simple thought of the bakeries, chocolate eclairs, and pasteis de nata that you can taste in the morning make is so mouth watering that I am about to change completely my holiday plans. 

- Last week I saw for the first time the content of a breakfast 'Bavarian style'. I don't want to describe the look in my eyes when I realized that the fans of such a lifestyle will eat early in the morning the traditional 'white wuerst', plus a bretzel, Weizenbier, bread or liver soup. I rather starve!

- During my 12 month-stay in Japan, I ate the same breakfast: steamed rice, miso soup and rolled omelet (tamagoyaki). In more expensier hotels you can also find nori (dried seaweed), broiled fish and natto (fermented soy beans). My very natural eating style in Japan helped me to keep me very fit and healthy. 

- The Russian breakfast is consistent and relatively simple: a sandwich with butter or ham, or some jam, an egg (boiled or fried), and tvorog (traditional cottage chese). Don't forget about coffee and tea, accompanied by some fresh pressed juice.

Source: http://www.israel-food-guide.com/israeli-breakfast.html
If you wander what's my favorite breakfast, the answer is: the Israeli breakfast. As someone who likes to eat a lot in the morning and drink more than one cup of coffee, this breakfast offers me the perfect combination of energy and different tastes that I am craving for at the beginning of the day. Any restauran in Israel will serve you: a fresh juice, freshly baked bread, olives, jam, hummus, labane, salad (cucumber and tomatoes), waffles, different types of cheese, eggs, sometimes even fish or blintzes and cereals. After one or two hours or eating, I can work till late in the evening without asking anything. This is what I call good life!

Have a good morning and a tasty breakfast!


No comments:

Post a Comment