Monday, June 30, 2014

My first porridge

I wanted to taste porridge for a long time, but despite my frequent trips near Scotland and the foodie recommendations from well experienced friends in matters of porridge and my interest for various traditional foods, the moment of true porridge was delayed for a couple of years. (What a shame, I know!) But in one of those moments when you realize that it should be 'now or never', I finally made it! I bought two colourful boxes from Glen Oats, and after a little while, I proceeded to the tasting. 
The porridge, available in three variants, simple, berries and gold syrup, was produced especially for the German market. They look colourful and funny, maybe with a design too charged in my opinion, but friendly enough to convince you to buy it. Especially if you never had the taste of the porridge, it may be a proper incentive. The preparation can be done within minutes, making it a perfect choice for the fast breakfast or lunches spent near the computer: boiled water poured over the content till the designated limit. You should mix well before starting to eat, in order to create a mixture as compact as possible.
As a general recommendation, it is better to consume them while hot. I tried one of them also one hour later and was not very happy with the taste: some traces of gluten, the whole composition was a bit sticky, and without too much taste. But fresh, it can be delicious and bringing good energy.  
My favourite out of them is the berry: it's fresh, fruity and mild. It goes with a breakfast based on fruits or as the only meal of the morning, accompanied by a simple tea or a coffee. 
The corn syrup is a bit too sweet for my taste, with a very milky taste. At a certain point, it tastes a bit artificial, but maybe one should pour less water. For me, it was enough for the morning, together with the coffee. 
My first meetings with porridge, although with the ready-made ones, was fine, good enough to make me curious to try an original meal one day. 

No comments:

Post a Comment