Thursday, February 22, 2018

Tasty Lunch Inspiration: Wild Salmon with Couscous

After having a successful thuna steak experience a couple of days ago, I've got the taste of improving my experience in seasoning and cooking fish. This time, it was much easier, as I am familiar with the salmon, one of my favorite kinds of fish to prepare at least once the week. What I wanted to try this time was a match of flavors, between the main and the side dish. As I am in love with couscous, I tried to add a lot of extra flavors to it, while the fish I kept within relatively known limits.
It was a bit of elaborated work, but the results were satisfactory and very tasty. It is a meal for two, therefore the measurements were calculated accordingly.


The Fish Dish

Ingredients
250 gr. wild salmon skinless, frozen
5 cloves of garlic, medium-sized, cut into rounds
1 tablespoon lemon sauce
1/2 tablespoon sea salt
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 tablespoon rose pepper

Directions
Warm the oven at 250C, at least 10 minutes before starting the cooking. Spread the garlic, the lemon sauce, the sea salt and the soy sauce, as well as the pepper, on both sides of the fish. The lemon is very important because it prevents the unpleasant taste usually associated with the deeply frozen fish.
Leave it in the oven for at least 30 minutes or until fully baked. I personally tried to turn it to every side at least every 10 minutes, to be sure that it's cooking well and deeply.

Preparation: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes


The Couscous Dish

I am recently back in love with couscous, a product which I used to cook abundantly a couple of years ago, including as a separate breakfast dish. Since then hopefully my skills evolved and I am nowadays able to create more sophisticated dishes based on this versatile ingredient. This one was relatively simple, but included a couple of different flavors

Ingredients

200 gr. peas and carrots from the can; cut the carrots into small rounds
1 tablespoon dried tarragon
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 tablespoon sesame oil
200 gr. couscous
200 ml. warm water

Directions

Heat the pan at 150C, at least 10 minutes before starting the cooking. Add the peas, carrots and estragon, the salt and the sesame oil and mix at 250C for around 10 minutes. Add the couscous and mix well for another couple of minutes. Add more salt and sesame oil. Pour the water and keep mixing for another 10 minutes or until the water is absorbed. Serve it warm with the fish.

Preparation time: 5 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes

Bon Appétit!

6 comments:

  1. Looks tasty! I just bough Salmon today - I may have to try it in this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now this is mind kind of lunch recipe! We have some fabulous salmon where we live, and so we eat it quite a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simple ingredients and bold flavors, this looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My wife hates fish so I almost never make it, but I will definitely make an exception for this recipe! Looks so simple and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love salmon and I love couscous, but I never tried them together. Thanks for sharing this tasty idea!
    -Heather K

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such a winning combo aren’t they. I love salmon so much its dense texture works so well with the soft couscous. Delicious.

    ReplyDelete