Sunday, January 6, 2013

US vs. UK: Recipe terms

While in London a couple of weeks ago, I had a long discussion about why I can't find arugula - or ruccola, for the Latin lovers. After asking several times and being welcomed with a surprised face I gave up till I found the precious leaves in my salmon bagel the next day. 'Oh, you did finally find arugula, I said'. 'You mean rocket?', he said.

When reading the latest edition of Vegetarian Living, a very inspiring publication that I discovered during my trip, I found a long list of products and vegetables named differently on the two sides of the pound. I should admit that in most cases I am on the US side, but most probably I will better learn the proper English vocabulary.

UK: Aubergine                  US Eggplant
      Bicarbonate of soda   Baking soda
      Broad beans               Fava beans
      Celeriac                      Celery root
      Chickpeas                   Garbanzo beans
      Coriander                    Cilantro
      Cornflour                     Cornstarch
      Courgette                     Zucchini
      Double cream              Whipping cream
      French/green beans      String beans
      Groundnut oil                Peanut oil
      Haricot beans               Navy beans
      Icing sugar                    Confectioners' sugar
      Pepper (capsicum)        Bell pepper
      Polenta                         Cornmeal
      Rapeseed oil                 Canola oil
      Rocket                          Arugula
      Soya                             Soy
      Spring onion                  Scallion
      Swede                          Rutabaga
      Treacle                         Molasses


  

No comments:

Post a Comment