Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Eating flowers

As I kid, I was hard to be stopped eating the delicious rose petals from the garden. This was the breakfast, early in the early sunny mornings, to be continued with the delicious 5 o'clok rose jelly, when it was the gossip time for the ladies. I was not rebuked for my vegetarian compulsions, but was not appreciated either. For a long time, I took it as a manifestation of my eccentricity side.

However, when less than one month ago I discovered a lovely package of pansies on sale in a big shop in London, I was challenged to find out what it is new in terms of edible flowers. 

Historically speaking, the custom of eating flowers is older than I: in the Middle Ages, India, China but also in the Victorian British Empire. There are several flowers used regularly as part of salads, cocktails and cakes, and the latest trends towards more healthy vegetarian food may encourage flower-based recipes further. 

It is very important that the flowers are carefully washed before use. Any flower not sprayed is saved from the culinary point of view. Allergic people must be more careful than the rest of the world, but in general, eating flowers does not present high health risks. There are warning regarding apple blossoms, for instance, that in big quantities can have a high concentration of cyanide precursors. Many flowers who aren't fresh may have a bitter taste and you better avoid it. An important recommendation for someone at the beginning of the flower-based diet is to do not use the flowers growing by the roadside. Not the entire flowers are edible so, please, don't try to eat the bucket!

What to put in your salad

The most frequent meeting with flowers are in teas. Jasmin and dandelion are the most frequent examples. My dear roses, are not only part of delicious jams, but also included in salads and this is not only for the special design that the colour may give. 

Lavender is even used as part of oils and also for jellies, but I also heard about...lavender foccacia. Its pleasant citrus taste may add a special taste to your glass of champagne. Some also recommend them for ice creams or chocolate cakes. 

The chrysanthemus, for instance, are appreciated in the Japanese cuisine for various stir-fries, and in general as part of salads. The gladiolus taste like lettuce, and the pansies will always give to the soup a pleasant flavour, besides the colour. My favourite flowers, the lilly can be also eaten, but it is not clear for me if the special perfumes, one of the reason we love flowers, besides colour, is maintained during the cooking process or gives a special taste to the food after all. Violets are recommended as garnishing for various desserts, including chocolate or strawberry salads. I've also saw some recipes where they appear as ingredients for spinach salads. 

I was not surprised by the edible side of most of the flowers I've read about, I did not expect to see the carnations on the list. Probably because for me they look very 'artificial' and thus, not natural enough for being part of a meal. However, those who did not have such second thoughts before me say that they taste spicy and bitter and even close to saffron. 

Bon Appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment