Wednesday, January 22, 2014

Playing with sauces

The winter is having an ugly, cold and unexpected comeback and I don't dare to stay outside for too long. But that's all for the good, because I can finally test some ideas that I wanted to try for a long time. And this is how I open a new chapter of my cooking experience: sauces.

We have pasta very often, but from time to time we are having enough and an improvisation is necessary. As I recently read a whole book dedicated to sauces, by Peter Auer, I decided to use the knowledge not only for improving my German, but also for a different cooking experience. 
Predictably, my pasta needed a creative tomato sauce.
From a recipe shared on page 94 in the book, I created my own combination:
9 little tomatoes
7 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
4 scallions, finely chopped
2 slices of ginger, finely chopped
1/4 teaspoon chilli powder from a package generously offered by Spice Kitchen UK
1/4 veggie margarine
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 big spoon of oil with parsley

Add the tomatoes to boiling water and let them together for around 10 minutes.
Meanwhile, add all the ingredients in a pan and mix them slowly. 
After 5 minutes only, the kitchen will smell beautifully and the appetite will increase accordingly.

Add the tomatoes and mix up for another 10 minutes.

It serves two hot portions.
Lesson learned: probably more water would have add more fluidity to the entire composition. But it tastes good and the result was highly appreciated. 
Tahini sauce is one of my obsessions after I ate to a good restaurant a proper fish soaked in a similar but even more delicious sauce. I carefully selected ingredients and check for recipes and I finally produced my own version:

juice from 1/2 lemon
1 slice ginger, finely chopped
1-2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
1 tablespoon cumin from the package generously offered by Spice Kitchen UK
1 cup of tahini pasta
1 tablespoon olive oil

In a pan at a maximum temperature, mix all the ingredients and stir slowly for around 10 minutes. 
It serves 2 and it more than delicious.
Lesson learned: as in the previous case, I felt the lack of water and probably a new version will be tested soon, as this is one of those recipes to fell in love to. 

Bon Appétit!

1 comment: