Monday, January 20, 2014

Poppy seeds and pomegranate cake

It's one of those Fridays again. Challos are done and looking good, the rest of the meals for Shabbos are also ready, but I need a sweet touch to the menu. I need to use the available ingredients, and to do it fast, in less than 3 hours. What should I do? Just enjoy the pleasure of living in the 21st century and search the easiest recipe on the Internet.
I did find an interesting idea, an Apple Bourbon cake by Levana Kirschenbaum, but I don't have most of the ingredients. In such cases, my creating mind is working fast and well to find a solution.

The result was my following combination of ingredients:

- 4 big eggs
- 1 cup olive oil
- 1 cup and 1/2 brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon saffron backing powder
- 3 cups flour, all-purpose
- 1/2 tablespoon cinnamon
- 150 gr. poppy seeds
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds

While mixing the ingredients, one by one, I roasted some 150 gr. almonds for the cover.

Baked in the oven for around 1 hour, at 250C. Maybe the cover was a bit burned out, but loved the crunchy almonds and the crust so it was good for me.
To be served with coffee and tea. The quantity can hardly make happy 4 hungry citizens. 
The total preparation time is of maximum 1 hr. 15.

Bon Appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment