Tuesday, July 4, 2017

My first yellow curry noodles recipe

It is not a secret that I usually create my meals based on foods I taste and like in restaurants. As someone who dealt for a long time with various eating disorders, I avoided for a long time to touch many foods therefore, creating my own recipes was impossible at the beginning as I did not know how to match the tastes. Those times are hopefully long gone, but there are still a lot of combinations I am unfamiliar with and at a certain point it is normal, especially when it comes to foods I haven't grow up with.
A couple of days ago, exhausted after too many baby tantrums and home chores, I decided to eat out, at a new Vegetarian street food Vietnamese restaurant around the corner. I ordered a yellow curry with veggies and was delighted and a couple of days after, I tried to recreate my own recipe (I added okra and eliminated the tofu).
Here is my (relatively) limited success:
Ingredients
1 pack Mie Asli Indonesian noodles - they are spices with turmeric, quick to cook and suitable for any kind of noodle dishes
400 ml. coconut milk
1 medium onion sliced
100 gr. okra cut in rondels
150 gr. sweet corn halved
one medium sized yellow pepper cut into small pieces
two tablespoon corn oil
1/2 teaspoon of rasped ginger
3 tablespoon yellow curry pasta

Directions
In a pan, add the curry pasta and the oil and mix well at 250C, until it gets a sauce consistency. If necessary, add some water and mix well for around 5 minutes.
Separately, boil water and add the Mie noodles. After 5 minutes, pour the water out, mix the noodles and eventually add some cold water.
In a pan, at 250 add the coconut milk and mix until it boils, for around 3 minutes. Add the onion, okra, pepper, the yellow corn and mix until is boiling - an average of around 10 minutes. Continue with the yellow curry sauce and the noodles. Mix well for another 3 minutes.
Serve it hot.
My only problem was the choice of the yellow curry pasta which was not the best quality, therefore the taste was not a bit different of what I had at the restaurant but also a little - but only a little bit - rancid.
As a first time experience it was great to test my cooking abilities and probably I need to do more documentation the next time when I am trying, especially when it comes to the choice of the curry.

Preparation time
15 minutes

Cooking time
20 minutes

Serves 4

Bon Appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment