Thursday, August 10, 2017

Savoury and sweet puff pastry

I have a love and hate relationship with the puff pastry. I do love to have, and even to prepare my own, but I am always disappointed by my clumsiness when it comes to shaping it. True is that I haven't searched too many examples of professional puff pastry arrangements, and in this case obviously my imagination and creativity are largely limited. Otherwise, in all situations, the results were satisfactory taste-wise.
Trying to cope with my mom challenges under the pressure of the heat wave, puff pastry - both savoury and sweet - was the shortest way to happiness on my table.
In both cases, I used the REWE ready-made puff pastry (Blätterteig), of 275 gr.
As the results were encouraging - despite the aesthetical mishapes - I promised myself to try as soon as possible some famous Apfelstrudel. Because, you know, I can.

Savoury puff pastry

The filling is the biggest challenge for a puff pastry. It is what gives actually shape and content to the entire dough construction. For the savoury filling, I used the following ingredients:
- 7 small white champignons, minced
- 1 beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 pinch of za'atar
- 150 gr. Ricotta cheese
- 50 gr. shredded Bulgarian cheese

The egg helps to bring together smoothly all the ingredients. Mix them well until you have a paste.
 You need another beaten egg for covering the dough when everything is ready to be brought to the oven.
I added the filling just in the middle, with the sides being cut in ribbons that are knitted all over the surface. I sprinkled the black sesame and get everything ready to stay in the oven, heated at 250C.

After around 15 minutes, everything is ready for a crunch, or two.

Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 15 minutes
Serves: 5

Sweet puff pastry

Ingredients:
- 250 canned mango, sliced
- 150 gr. mascarpone cheese
- 1 beaten egg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup white sugar

Mix all the ingredients well.
 As in the previous case, I placed the filling in the middle and clumsily played with the sides of the dough, not so artistically, but enough to contain properly the middle. I also sprinkled some sugar on the top, after the egg was smeared all over.
Placed on a parchement paper, I put it in the oven, heated at 250C and after 15 minutes, this crispy golden beauty was ready to be tasted, preferably accompanied by some mint tea. I definitely fell in love with the final sweetness of the filling, and the special notes given by the sugar.

Bon Appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment