Wednesday, September 20, 2017

How to Make Faloodeh Persian Dessert

Keeping in mind the resolution of trying every week, at least, some new recipe or challenging my tastes with something out of my comfort zone, I was inspired by some Tweet posts to give a cooking try to the popular Persian dessert Faloodeh. I must confess that I haven't heard about it before, but it was looking both tempting as a taste and easy to make therefore I went on with my plan to prepare it.
Apparently, Faloodeh is a very popular dish, introduced on the menu in the 16th-18th century, during the Mughal kings who also ruled India and the Indian subcontinent. Nowadays, it is served in ice cream stores, with an addition of pistacchio and saffran, which might taste as delicious as it sounds.
I used a recipe found on the www.aashpazi.com, a site dedicated to Persian cuisine.
The list of ingredients looks very easy and affordable too:
100 gr. vermicelli rice noodles, break into small pieces
1 cup white sugar
1 lime
1/4 cup rose water
1 cup warm water
However, as it is often the case, I had to cope with some particular problem that those familiar with the recipe would usually avoid. My issue was related to the choice of the vermicelli. I went first for some bean-based one, which after being soaked in cold water was still looking like some glass hair impossible to break. Therefore, I had to throw up everything and return to the Asian store for something more breakable.
This time I was luckier, buying original rice vermicelli from Singapore. I've read later that in fact, the best is to make your own vermicelli batter which is an aim I still have to figure out how to reach. After finding the right vermicelli noodles, the rest of the recipe went as fast as expected - preparation time 30 minutes.
In the cup of water, add the sugar and the rose water and stir well. Pour the composition over the noodles and leave it to rest for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, add the lime juice and stir it again. If you want a stronger sweetness, you can leave it even more, but I've found that the half of hour was perfectly well for my taste. After that time, take out the extra liquid.
The citrus sparkling taste is a perfect match for the overwhelming sweetness and therefore it makes it a good balanced taste in the end.
Leave it in the fridge for around one hour. You can serve it adorned by a some mint leaves or some pistachio. I personally added a teaspoon of rose jam, because the smell of rose water was so strong that I needed to have a taste of the roses too!

Bon Appétit!

No comments:

Post a Comment